Culture of Luxembourg: The culture of Luxembourg refers to the cultural life and traditions of the small European nation of Luxembourg. Most citizens are trilingual; speaking the Germanic national language of Luxembourgish, in addition to French and German. As such, the country has been overshadowed by the culture of its neighbours.

Folk culture

Long a deeply rural and folkloric nation, Luxembourg retains folk traditions. Notable is the Echternach Dancing Procession which happens annually.


The major museums are: National Museum of History and Art, National Museum of Natural History, History Museum of the City of Luxembourg , Museum of Modern Art Grand-Duc Jean




Joseph Kutter and Jean Jacoby were notable around the turn of the century. Notable painters after World War II. were Emile Kirscht, Fony Thissen, Joseph Kutter, and Gust Graas.


The influential photographer and painter Edward Steichen was of Luxembourg descent. Contemporary photographers include the photojournalist Thierry Frisch.


The most famous poets were Michael Rodange and Anise Koltz. Contemporary poets include Jean Portante.


Luxembourg has a few buildings of distinctive architectural merit. The city of Luxembourg is on the Unesco World Heritage List.


Military band of Luxembourg Brian Molko, singer/guitarist of rock band Placebo lived in Luxembourg for most of his life, where he learned to play various instruments such as guitar, piano and saxophone.

Food and Drink

Luxembourg’s cuisine has been influenced over the years by neighbouring France and Germany. More recently, it has had influence from its many Italian and Portuguese immigrants. Luxembourg has many delicacies. For example : pastries, Luxembourg Cheese, the fresh fish from local rivers (brown trout, pike, and crayfish), Ardennes ham smoked in saltpetre.    

In 1993 it was reported that Luxembourg had the highest worldwide per capita consumption of alcohol; an average of three beers a day for every man, woman, and child. French wine is the most commonly drunk alcohol, and fine beers from Germany and Belgium are widely available. Alcohol is available cheaper in Luxembourg than anywhere else in Europe. It’s also common to come across home-produced alcohol, called Drëpp or eau de vie, distilled from various different fruits and usually fifty percent alcohol by volume.

Famous composers

Jean-Antoin Zinnen is one of the most known Luxembourgish composers. He is author of their national anthem. Another composers for example are: Albert M. Marinov, Marcel Wengler, Jules Kruger.

Religion in Luxembourg

There are many active sauces in Luxembourg. The most important, in terms of size of congregation and historical importance, is Roman Catholicism, but the state does not support, or discriminate against, any one single religion.


87% of Luxembourgers are Roman Catholics, the remaining 13% being made up of Protestants, Orthodox Christians, Jews, Muslims and those of other or no religion.

Roman Catholicism

Catholicism is the most practised religion in Luxembourg. Luxembourg was a major centre for Christianity during the Middle Ages, Roman Catholicism was sustained through the Reformation by the hierarchy, buildings, and traditions established in the preceding centuries. The Roman Catholic Church has received state support since 1801.


Protestantism is the largest minority religion in Luxembourg, with estimates of adherents ranging from 5,000 to 15,000 (1% to 3.2% of the population). They are divided across several Protestant churches and creeds, including Lutheranism, Calvinism, Anglicanism, Presbyterianism, and Evangelicalism.


Luxembourg’s Jewish community dates back at least as far as the 13th century, making Judaism the minority religion that has been practised the longest in Luxembourg. Today, Luxembourg’s Jews number approximately 1,200, of whom, 650 practise actively. There are very few Orthodox Jews in Luxembourg. During the Holocaust, 1,945 Jewish Luxembourgers were killed, out of a pre-war population of 3,500. Judaism is supported by the state.


Muslims in Luxembourg are a minority together with: Protestants, Orthodox Christians, and Jews. Islam is not legally recognized in the country.